Maintenance Requirements for Vessels
Maintenance requirements for hydrogen storage vessels and their integrity deserve special mention, since vessels generally pose a large hazard to workers and facilities.
- Proper regulatory requirements and industry standards for maintenance of hydrogen storage vessels should be followed (see Hydrogen Storage and Piping).
- Fixed vessels - ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC)
- Mobile vessels - Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), which covers the transport of hazardous materials.
- Vessels should be subjected to non-destructive examination at planned intervals.
- Cyclic high-pressure service is of particular concern due to the potential for enhanced fatigue crack growth and hydrogen embrittlement.
Pressure vessels must be recertified periodically with regard to their safety and reliability. Specific requirements may vary by type of vessel, type of service, applicable codes, and location. Recommended best practices are as follows:
- Follow the code that governs your vessel (e.g., ASME, DOT). For example, larger ASME vessels are placed on a third-party inspector's list.
- Refer to your State and local codes for specific requirements.
- Follow the vessel manufacturer's recommendations.